Tuesday, June 18, 2013


Today we all arrived at the YMCA bright and early at 6:30. We were all a little cranky since we’re not so accustomed to getting up that early. But it was fun from the very start. I can tell you, I have never before had a more fun 7 hour car trip in my life! Between eating candy and talking with friends, everything was a memory to last a lifetime! When we finally got into New York, our very first stop was in the world famous Apollo Theater in Harlem. As we listened to Billy Mitchell speak we were all fascinated and amazed by the fact that such famous people had performed on the stage in front of us. At the end of his wonderful presentation he gave a number of us the opportunity to perform on this stage ourselves. Me, being a lover of music and singing, I decided that I just could not pass up this amazing chance. So I got up on stage and sang my heart out! The song was “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King.

Once we left the theater we walked around Central Park for a little bit. On our way through the beautiful park we saw the John Lennon memorial which, as many of you may know, is a mosaic that says “Imagine.” Right by this memorial there was a group of 3 guys singing with a guitar on a street bench. Many of us, including me, gave them our spare change to show them how much we enjoyed it.

After we left the park, we headed to dinner at the one and only, Katz’s Deli. People really experimented with all of the great food that they had to offer us. There is a sign in the Deli that said “This is where Harry met Sally.” I know, that that is one of my favorite movies and it was so cool to see that sign. After we all stuffed ourselves with the great food we headed to our hotel in New Jersey. It has been a great trip so far and I can’t wait for the rest of it.
                             --Arielle


                Today was such a great day, though it went by very fast and most of it was spent on the bus. Though the bus was one of the best parts where we got to bond, spend time together, see the scenery and how things changed as we made our way closer to New York and farther away from Maine, plus there was the chance to sleep. On the bus we learned new things as Francie occasionally came up and spoke to us, and we got to be closer as a group. Some of the good times were off the bus too. We went to Central Park and saw Balto, an Imagine thing in the ground in memory of John Lennon, and a street performer who may or may not be John Lennon’s relative Shawn Lennon. We’re not sure. We are sure though that we all had a great time. We got to eat at Katz’s Deli where you get a ticket and go up, order your food, they make it for you and write the price on the ticket, then you sit and eat.. But, if you lose your ticket, there is a $50 dollar fine to go along with your meal price. Only one person lost their ticket, though we found it so we didn’t have to pay. I have so many memories and photos from today, it’s hard to believe that it’s only the first day, it went by so quick, yet, we still have about 6 more days to go..
       -- Kylie <33
 
            Today, I was excited to start our journey because I’ve never been to any of the places we are headed. I was up at 5:30 because I couldn’t fall back asleep. My mom isn’t much of an enthusiast, so I got the usual hug and kiss. I’ve never been on a tour bus before, so that was new. Madison nearly killed me for the window seat. =) I honestly just listened to music the whole time if I hadn’t I may have freaked out. We went to the Apollo, I’ve wanted to go there forever because I’m a huge Michael Jackson fan so when I saw his name and picture, I even sang on the same stage as him! I was honored and nervous, because only the “popular girls” usually get noticed, but I felt confident and did my best. Billy Mitchell was amazing, he was our guide. He told us how the Apollo wasn’t originally the Apollo, it was a Burlesque place. It was shut down later because it got out of control, go figure. So, in 1934 some people bought it and renamed it. They didn’t allow blacks at first, it was a while ago remember so they weren’t allowed. Eventually, they were. Smoky Robinson, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, and Michael were some of the many to perform, like Stevie Wonder and so on. I will never forget when Billy told us how important education was. He even shared some about himself, like how he was 1 of 14 kids and they were so poor he was placed in foster care. His mother got him back and he became an errand boy for the Apollo for a few years. We mostly went sightseeing throughout the city for the rest of the day. The city looks so sad to me during the day in the dreariness of how it was raining, but at night, God was it a sight to see. It was breathtaking. I hope tomorrow will be as fun. =)
                  --Jassmine
 
            Today was my first day on the freedom tour. My nerves were everywhere and trying not to forget anything was a challenge. But as early as it was, I wasn’t tired, I was so jittery from leaving my home for a week! It’s very hard to think that in only one day that you can be in the quiet state of Maine to the busy streets of New York. At first it was really scary to think that my parents wouldn’t be there to take me home if I got scared. We were on a bus for hours, but with my friends laughing and making jokes it was very quick and fun! Now that I write I feel that today was a really huge step for me, being the shy girl in the corner. Today we had to push our way through a busy restaurant to get totally worth it food, and taking photos left and right. It was really life changing to see all these things that I considered not very important, and instead to being something that I really was happy to see. Like my childhood hero, Balto, who has a statue in Central Park. This trip is really going to change my view on what others actions do to change the world for us now. And knowing myself a day ago, I wouldn’t have even gotten out of bed thinking I would be on a bus, taking crazy photos of my friends and my childhood hero, not to mention we went underground to get to our hotel!!!!. This trip is going to be amazing. And I hope that my family doesn’t miss me too much (But a little is fine.) Reminders of home are everywhere. I can’t wait to see my family again! I hope tomorrow is going to be as good as today was!!
              --Hannah
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment